|Long Term Volunteer Opportunities
One of the goals at Project Canaan is to provide employment for local Swazi's and help them get out of poverty. In addition to employing 200+ Swazi's there is also a need for long term volunteer help in specific capacities.
These are the areas of need at this time:
Preferred, but not required:
- Pediatric experience
- Experience wih cerebral palsy, developmental delays, trauma disorders, and autistic spectrum disorders
- Daily sessions with school-age cerebral palsy children (mild-moderate CP), ASD children, and children with trauma disorders (PTSD, RAD)
- Weekly sessions with cerebral palsy babies and developmentally delayed children
- Educating caregivers and teachers:
- Home interventions and home therapy
- Accommodations for special needs children
- Healthy practices for prevention of developmental delays
Project Canaan Academy Teacher
Project Canaan Academy is looking for an enthusiastic and Jesus following primary teacher to foster and facilitate the intellectual and social development of the children on Project Canaan. You will plan, implement, and assess lessons and you will teach childcare with manipulatives, patience and creativity.
To view the complete job description, please click here: Primary Teacher.
Project Canaan Academy Special Education Teacher
Project Canaan is looking for an enthusiastic and Jesus following special education teacher to foster and facilitate the intellectual and social development of the children of Project Canaan. Special education teachers work with students who have a wide range of learning, mental, emotional, and physical disabilities. They adapt general education lessons and teach various subjects, such as reading, writing, and math, to students with mild and moderate disabilities. They also teach basic skills, such as literacy and communication techniques, to students with severe disabilities.
- Teach alphabet and numeracy along with personal, social and emotional skills.
- Organize learning material and resources.
- Use a variety of activities and instructional methods (songs, stories, media, structured games, art, outdoor activities) to motivate and stimulate children's abilities
- Maintain an open line of communication with parents, aunties, and provide appropriate information.
- Assess students performance and progress to ensure they are mastering the skills on regular basis.
- Monitor children’s interactions and nurture cooperation and sharing.
- Cooperate with administrative staff.
- Follow and comply with all teaching standards and safety regulations.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Assess students’ skills to determine their needs and to develop teaching plans
- Adapt lessons to meet the needs of students
- Develop Individualized Education Programs for each student
- Plan, organize, and assign activities that are specific to each student’s abilities
- Teach and mentor students as a class, in small groups, and one-on-one
- Implement IEPs, assess students’ performance, and track their progress
- Update IEPs throughout the school year to reflect students’ progress and goals
- Discuss student’s progress with parents, teachers, counselors, and administrators
- Supervise and mentor teacher assistants who work with students with disabilities
- Prepare and help students transition from grade to grade and after graduation
- Teach and guide aunties and other staff on needs of each child within the department.
- Proven working experience as a special education teacher.
- Knowledge and experience in visually impaired, hearing impaired and autism education.
- Excellent knowledge of child development and latest education theories and practices.
- Creative and artistic teaching abilities.
- Teaching and organizational skills.
- Patience and flexibility.
- Strong communication skills.
- BS or BA degree in education or relevant teaching certificate.
We are looking for people who can commit to volunteering for one year or more to the roles above and are prepared to raise their own financial support to come and serve. If you are interested in any of these positions please send a letter of interest and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for prayerfully considering these positions.